Thursday, July 12, 2007

What's next fratastic

Tis a sad sad sad day when words like "ginormous" and "smackdown" are added to the dictionary, and I would like to thank Merriam-Webster for making this so. Every year they add and remove words to and from the dictionary, I am not so much interested in the words they removed as I am in the words they added. They freaking added ginormous, GINORMOUS. Dont get me wrong I use ginormous all the damn time, but I would never in a million trillion years think it should be added to the dictionary, as if it were a real word.

So basically what this tells me is I can just start making up words, and make sure I say them all the time so other people start saying them and inevitably at least one or two of those words will be added to the dictionary. I mean the odds totally play in my favor here, if I make up lets say 900 words I think I am at least guaranteed that three words will end up in the dictionary at some point in time.

My first official word is "shmeeling". Shmeeling - a female feeling or emotion not easily defined or understood. Usually brought on for no particular and rapidly appears and then disappears. Learn it and use it blognation. More words to come I promise.

In case you were wondering here is 20 of the new "words" Merriam-Webster added to the dictoinary:

1.
agnolotti
2.
Bollywood
3.
chaebol
4.
crunk
5.
DVR
6.
flex-cuff
7.
ginormous
8.
gray literature
9.
hardscape
10.
IED
11.
microgreen
12.
nocebo
13.
perfect storm
14.
RPG
15.
smackdown
16.
snowboardcross
17.
speed dating
18.
sudoku
19.
telenovela
20.
viewshed

No comments: