Friday, February 6, 2009

On a Serious Note

Ok folks I'm going to get a bit serious on this blog. I was driving around today and trying to decide what I wanted to write about and I kept coming back to the current state of our countries' economy and the stimulus package that went to the Senate today. I am sure for most of you out there this blog will do one of two things A. bore you to death or B. piss you off, but I don't care.

What the crap is going on in Washington? $780 BILLION stimulus plan (SP) are you kidding me? Am I the only person that realizes this money has to come from some where? I know that here in the good ole US of A we tend to think if we just print more money then all of our problems are solved, but I am here to tell you that unless there is something to back the money up it is hold on get this only PAPER. Please don't get me wrong I more than anyone would benefit from the stimulus package. I for one have no job which means I have no income so "free" money would be marvelous. However, the problem with that mentality is that it makes no sense as their is not such thing as "free" money especially when it comes from the government. I would like to ask everyone that supports this plan where exactly do they think this money is going to come from? Where do you think the government gets money? Oh yeah they get it from the people.

Let's actually look at this package and the whole process for a moment shall we. Step 1. The SP was only voted for by House Democrats. Crazy, no? I'm not blind enough to think that was pure party line voting after the Presidential election, but isn't it interesting that only the Democrats approved spending $819 BILLION for things like oh I don't know resodding the National Mall. Please don't respond with any crap about creating jobs, because I have a whole nother argument about that and please please do not reference FDR if you know anything about anything you would know the well-fare state he created was a failure and the countries' economy was only saved by WWII. 2.
"is full of pet projects. When was the last time that we saw a bill of this magnitude move out with no earmarks in it? Not one." - Barack Obama
Am I the only one that thinks this mentality is crazy. I'm sorry President Obama if everyone else jumps off a bridge are you going to follow them? 3. Current estimate for 2009 deficit = $1.19 Trillion without the SP! Enough said!!!

I get the implications of not passing the stimulus package. I am obviously not stupid enough to go on record as not supporting the SP if I haven't researched both sides. Clearly the easy choice is to support it, but the easy choice is what got us into this mess so maybe it is time we man up and take responsibility for our actions. Here is a thought maybe we should lay off a few US Representatives, Senators, Cabinet members, Justices, Judges, and Magistrates. Oh and for that matter maybe we can ask the President and the VP to take a salary cut. http://dcjobsource.com/presidentialsalaries.html

No comments: