Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What is wrong with the world we live in

I cant stop thinking about what happened at Virginia Tech. No matter what I do my mind drifts back to the students, the facility, the families everyone whose lives have been forever changed by the acts of one selfish person. I cant imagine waking up and going to class one Monday morning and being greeted by a crazed gunman. The mass hysteria that took the place of the once quiet campus has now been replaced by a somber silence. I cant help but feel like on some level it's wrong to go on with my day as if nothing has happened as if 33 people were not murdered yesterday and for what? Because some twisted sick person decided to take his revenge against the "rich kids, debauchery, and deceitful charlatans". I do not know anyone at Virginia Tech, but I do have friends that know people that are in school there, have friends there, or siblings there and I can not image what they must be going through. I cant imagine being a parent of a student at Virginia Tech or the spouse of a facutly to member at Virginia Tech the unknowing would must be unbareble. Officials have yet to release all of the names of those murdered yesterday, and my heart goes out to every family and every friend that is just sitting there waiting to find out what has become of their loved ones.

"Why did this happen and what could have been done to prevent it from happening" will inevitably be the next questions asked, and ones that should be asked, but both are questions that can not be answered easily. According to cnn.com Cho Seung-Hui was an English Major and had an ascendancy to write plays so disturbing they had to be turned into the Head of the English Department, but what could they really have done? In college you are supposed to be able to express yourself and grow freely, but where do you draw the line between expressing your self and recognizing a call for help. I'm not going to get into the whole gun control issue argument or the freedom of speech argument (I think we've all had enough of that argument lately) right now because that's not the point of this blog. The point is to remember those that died yesterday and ask everyone to pray for those that were lost pray for their families and their friends, pray for the students and the facility and staff at Virginia Tech. Things will never be the same there again.

2 comments:

Regina Filangi said...

You know, cbs interviewd this pyschologist and she said ya know, you can't arrest someone for their thoughts, opinions, or creative writing in class. So really, they did the best job they could when they turned his writing into the head of the dept and pushed him to get counseling. Legally, that's all you can do. Of course there were warning signs, but you can't put someone behind bars for plays they write in a creative writing class. Look at Quentin Terrintino. You can't arrest him bc he makes crazy weird movies, can you?
So I don't blame the administration at all for this like some news teams are. There is no way to forsee the future.

Tanya said...

Its a sad day. Its a scary world we live in. Our prayers do make a difference to those going though it. One of my best friends goes to VT. When he told me about what was going on I was sad for him, but I told him I would pray. From here thats about all I can do. His response was "thanks, that's more than sufficient". Its going to be hard for them, but as long as we keep those people in our prayers, they will be able to make it.